Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mogulah@hotmail.com is offline

Default How to change 240v 3ph plug to 240v single ph plug

On Sunday, October 19, 2014 11:22:35 PM UTC-4, John G wrote:
Larry Jaques has brought this to us :
On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 19:04:09 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 23:18:02 +0000, Lucky Dave
wrote:

Have three phase 240 volt in my shop. Need to change plug to 240v single
phase

Remove (1) hot wire.

Dontcha get 208 or 262v out of that, depending on wiring style?
(delta v. wye)

I rest my case. There are so many possibilities in the US.

Right, get an electrician to at least look over the job that you did and call the device/appliance manufacturer to make sure (though they've usually allowed for more or less than nameplate voltage input).

Here in the US the NEC (National Electric Code) says to describe voltage at 120V, 208V, 240V, 277v. But manufacturers sometimes round up or down to their specs. Additionally you have peak and off and other factors that result in getting more or less than the 120v or the 240v that you think you are getting. (involving non-North American systems)