Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Electrical box ground wiring.

Cydrome Leader wrote:

Well, technically, a GFCI device doesn't need a ground prong or a ground
to function. Notice I say GCFI devive, not receptacle. Take for instance
hair dryers or electric blankets these days. They have a GFCI module in
the plug, which is polarized, but not grounded.

On the other hand, if you're installing a GFCI outlet, they all have
ground prongs, and to not ground it would be improper. Downstream outlets
could be old receptacles with no ground prong, if you're doing some sort
of retrofit or hacky upgrade. I have no doubt both have been done by
people at home, but a real electrician would do the same might be a
different story. Anybody know what the NEC says about this?

The NEC requires the protected outlets be marked as non grounded. The
labels come with the GFCI.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.