Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default How to plug a missing stem?

On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 14:45:37 -0500, philo* wrote:

On 10/22/2014 01:27 PM, micky wrote:

I don't know about that. Yesterday, the 21st, I went to another
plumbing supply store and got all the parts I need, and some I don't
need to see me through the next episode. stems for the bath and the
sink, seats for the bath and the sink, a seat replacement wrench, and
hexagonal** plastic adapters fit between the stem and the handle.

I'll see if they're enough to fix everything.

I must say that it was easier to spend $133 (instead of $2 for washers,
which is what I planned) with the threat of having to hire a plumber
breathing down my nexk

If you could get all the parts you needed for $133 then you did well.

Glad to hear that. He calls himself something like "the old parts
store". Been in business for decades but some of the parts he orders
new. LIke the plastic hexagon adapters**. And even the long stems seem
to be new because he apologized for not having the right length. He
said they used to come in 5? lengths and now they just come in 3.

So it is about 1/2 inch or a little more longer than what I had, but it
comes with it's own shiny tube that goes all the way inside the handle a
little bit. But that got me thinkin'. When I was in Lowes and looked
in the Danco catalog, some of the 9c- stems had silver bodies and I
didn't know what I was looking at. I had no idea they unscrewed (even
though I just unscrewed them from my own. I told you I was stupid.)
(This means the valves will be stick out 0.6 inches farther than the
diverter. I guess I can live with that, but I still want to see if I
can get the exact same length.)

So I went to HD tonight, and it seems Danco still lists the 9C-1H/C.
Actually it's number !. But HD didn't stock it (or most of the ones
in the catallog), so I'm looking online right now (browser slow so I
have time to type here).

And Amazon has it by Danco for $34 but I can't tell online if it's
really the same length . Includes a new seat. 1.1 x 1.8 x 7 inches

MENARDS has it for $19.99 Are they always cheaper than everyone
else?? No Menards around here but they'll still ship it.

In the catalog at Lowes and HD, the to-scale picture was definitey the
same length, but otoh even that doesn't mean it's still the same length
in real life.

Based on the picture, HD has it online only for $43 but only with the
jamb nut. The much bigger bonnet nut is not in the picture. And it's
silver colored instead of brass. In the specs it says "material:
metal", but it also says "Color family: Brass", so maybe it's a bad
picture. Although it sure looks realistic, with lots of fine lines on
it in the enlarged picture.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-9C-...254B/202066390
On the plus side it includes a new seat, which I paid $2 for (less than
the $3 plastic adapter) . And they want 8 days to ship it to the
store, and 9 days to ship it to my house.

It also says:
Assembled Depth (in.) 1.25 in
Assembled Width (in.) 1.88 in
Assembled Height (in.) 6.5 in

Now how can that be, for something that is round in two of its
dimensions.?

The one at Amazon, same product supposedly , it says
1.1 x 1.8 x 7 inches None of the numbers are the same.

Mine is 4.25 L x 1.1 Diameter in inches. . (From one corner to
another. From one flat to the opposite is 1.0" )

IOW, I guess HD and Amazon's version don't match 6.5" vs 4.24L OTOH,
this is 9C-1H/L where 9 means the length. Maybe I should try shorter
ones. Although 9 is the length the Danco chart gave, when I put my
stem on it.

Sears has it by Danco for $48.25.

The guy I bought from yesterday very strongly implied that his weren't
Danco. He charged $30. He also would say that there is more one quality
and Lowes sells Danco which is cheap Chinese junk, while maybe Sears
sellls something better. ??? (and then he gave lots of different
products that were made cheaply in China, he said.)

**Yes, when I don't have enough adpaters, I could just buy new handles
that use square adapters, but I'm a bit compulsive, and since the house
came that way, I want the shower, bath, and all three sinks to have the
same handles.

In the past I've spent so much time unsuccessfully trying to find
replacement parts that I just find it easier (no matter how difficult)
to replace the whole assembly.

**(The stores only sell square adapters, both plastic and metal, but
they seem never to have made hexagonal metal ones, so they break
sometimes. I glued the last one together, but some day it will break so
bad I can't do that.)

He also said that beveled washers flare out beyond their normal radius
when the faucet is tightened, and he pointed to one of my old cold water
stems about 1/12th of the circumference (later 1/6th) pushed out) and so
flat washers are better at least when a faucet was designed for flat.
Does all this sound correct?

It sounds right to me but I am not a plumbing expert by any means

Me neither, but I'll use flat like he told me to.