Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Flush up

On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 08:35:37 -0400, Frank
wrote:

On 10/22/2014 7:26 AM, philo wrote:
On 10/22/2014 06:03 AM, wrote:
Hello there. I want to install one of those flush-up toilets in my
basement. Plumbing isn't a problem, the pipes run right above where I
will install it on the wall. My concern is the action itself and how
reliable it is. You can't always believe the manufacturer and the
last thing I need is brown water (or worse) in my basement. Any
thoughts on these or to the reliability?

I've never used one, but if your house is reasonably new, it's not
difficult to breakup the concrete floor and add a drain pipe for a
conventional toilet.

My brother-in-law showed me how he did it and said breaking up the
concrete was simple. (His house was built in the 70's)*

I decided to try it myself and could not break the concrete even with a
16 pound sledge hammer. The concrete here was put in in 1932 and bears
no resemblance to how they do things today.

And the concrete gets harder every year.

Not familiar with them either but my son has one he put in for a
basement room a few years ago and I have not heard any comments about it.

Some people with sewer service don't have drainage to sewer below
basement level and this is only choice. I think some are water powered
and others electric. I would worry about electric if it failed.

If they go into the basement bathroom and the light won't go on, they
should use another bathroom!

I have
a neighbor that pumps up septic gray water and it failed. Fortunately
septic tank was not in the house.

LOL