Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Does Fiber Modem need to be near fuse box

On 10/22/2014 1:56 PM, Ron D. wrote:
The only potential problem I could foresee is the allowable bend radius of the fiber.

Usually, Phone, TV and power should all be earthed together at the same point. Fiber isn't conductive, so you should be good.

I live in a house where phone and power are not next to one another. Power travels to the middle of the house under the eve. Phone terminates just outside. The cables are nearly parallel, but separated, as they come overhead.

My neighbor's computer is on the opposite end of the house from the
power meter/fuse box.
Frontier FIOS spigot is closest to the computer.
I discussed the installation with the scheduling guy and agreed to put the
box near the computer.
Days later, they were digging up the ground routing the fiber
100 feet across the yard to the power meter area.

I challenged them and they said it was a REQUIREMENT.
I resisted.
They were packing up to leave when I insisted they call the
guy who scheduled it.
Turns out it wasn't a REQUIREMENT and they put it where we wanted it.