Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rant - This country is screwed up

On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 08:57:51 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 10/21/2014 10:18 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Once I determined that I didn't need an electronic nurse maid
(AKA: Cell Phone), my communication needs became straight
forward.

My customers could always get a call back if they left a message
on my voice mail and that was drove my whole thought process.

If I didn't lose orders, there was no need to solve a problem
that didn't exist.

Local and Long Distance is covered by Magic Jack for $20/year.

We've converted "wants" to "needs". The world managed to get by without
the use of cell phones for a long time. They are convenient, but you
can still get through life without one.

Sure, I don't *need* a smart phone but it the real-time Navi was very
nice driving down to the bowels of Atlanta during rush hour (both
ways). It's also *nice* read the news when I'm waiting in line, the
doctor's office, or whatever.

We used to walk to school about 1 1/2 miles in the dark because the sun
was not invented yet. Now, Johnny needs a cell phone because something
bad might happen while he walks three blocks to school.

Johnny can't play in the dirt with his friends, either. The only
sports are organized by the parents (or schools). I always thought
pick up games were far more fun than organized games. Who needs
parents getting all serious? ;-)

When I was on the road in sales, I'd call into the office twice a day
for messages. Now the customer can call directly to the cell phone.
Questionable as to whether that is an improvement.

I'm at the other end of the phone but I think it's definitely an
improvement. I can get ahold of support or sales people quickly. I
imagine they're pretty useful for building contractors, too.