Posted to alt.home.repair
philo [_2_] philo [_2_] is offline

Default How to plug a missing stem?

On 10/22/2014 01:27 PM, micky wrote:

I don't know about that. Yesterday, the 21st, I went to another
plumbing supply store and got all the parts I need, and some I don't
need to see me through the next episode. stems for the bath and the
sink, seats for the bath and the sink, a seat replacement wrench, and
hexagonal** plastic adapters fit between the stem and the handle.

I'll see if they're enough to fix everything.

I must say that it was easier to spend $133 (instead of $2 for washers,
which is what I planned) with the threat of having to hire a plumber
breathing down my nexk

If you could get all the parts you needed for $133 then you did well.
In the past I've spent so much time unsuccessfully trying to find
replacement parts that I just find it easier (no matter how difficult)
to replace the whole assembly.

**(The stores only sell square adapters, both plastic and metal, but
they seem never to have made hexagonal metal ones, so they break
sometimes. I glued the last one together, but some day it will break so
bad I can't do that.)

He also said that beveled washers flare out beyond their normal radius
when the faucet is tightened, and he pointed to one of my old cold water
stems about 1/12th of the circumference (later 1/6th) pushed out) and so
flat washers are better at least when a faucet was designed for flat.
Does all this sound correct?

It sounds right to me but I am not a plumbing expert by any means