Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Quarter of Homebases to close

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
Theo Markettos wrote:

http://news.sky.com/story/1357846/ho...s-to-be-closed

"a large estate with low sales densities that result in a challenged
financial model."

"We have large stores full of rubbish that nobody wants to buy,
so we can make no money."

It is a shame that they have gone this way, but it is quite some
time since I even considered looking there, whereas I was once a
regular shopper.

Can't say I will miss their passing.

There was a suggestion that younger householders are less keen on DIY.

It would be interesting to see some real stats on that.

Is this because they can afford not to,

Unlikely given how the **** hit the fan in 2008

or a reflection of increasing bureaucratic control?

Unlikely given that there is very little bureaucratic
control over much of that even now.

If they are less keen, it may just be because
they don't need to do as much given that
stuff does last rather longer than it used to
with so much of the basic house structure
and detail is concerned.

Presumably as real living standards have
increased, just like with say cars, you see
a lot less DIY that we did when so many
had to keep DIYing their old bombs
because that was all they could afford to do.