Posted to rec.woodworking
Casper Casper is offline

Default Shed Question

It's looking good.
Thanks.

If there's some good sturdy framing above the door and along that gambrel roof line,
then maybe frame and install a 2' overhang above the door. If the framing is lacking,
then make some simple corbels or triangle braces, to brace the overhang. If that's
5/8" T1-11, then it, along, might be sturdy enough to support corbels or Tri braces
for a 2' wide overhang.

There is one brace and one 2x4 at the front where you see the missing
trim. Not sure how sturdy it is right now but I would like to
strengthen it up so I can add an locking up-bolt behind the left door.
Added one on the bottom but door is still pretty flexible at the top.

If not an overhang, a simple drip edge, above the doors, would help, some.

Was considering that as an option. Would love to have a bit more of an
overhang to protect from rain and snow but haven't decided what yet.

Prime all that T1-11, even behind the door facings and along the edges of the T1-11,
before you cover it up with facings. Fill the T1-11 grooves, at the bottoms where the
facings are, with caulk, so water doesn't get down inside, behind the facings.

Some of the T1 is primed behind the trim but we ran out of time for
the day so have to try to get the rest this weekend.

Clean the siding with Clorox and Jomax, before priming and painting. *A gallon of
Jomax is enough to clean a 2000 sq ft house.

I powerwashed the entire shed, including roof (loaded with green
growing inedible stuff) in the spring but at least the left side needs
it again from all the muddy splash up during the storms this year.

Remove the hinges/hardware and prime & paint behind the hardware. When
priming and painting rough T1-11 surface, use a 3/4" nap roller, so the primie
and paint gets down into the roughness. After application, run a paint brush
over it, to smoothen it.

I used Zin primer spray along some of the channels along the framing
and under the left trim. Didn't have time yet to bring out the roller.

Are there any spots, along the T1-11 siding, where the bottom edges are starting
to decay or rot, possibly needing replacing within the next year? I have some
recommendations for replacing bottom edges.
Sonny

Yes, the two long sides have decay in various stages along the bottom.
Too much splashing up from the ground when it rains.

I'll be very glad when this project is complete and off the to-do list
of repairs. It's been a thorn in my side for the last 18-24 mos with
everything that has kept me from working on it.

Thanks for the tips!