Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan Kozar[_4_] Dan Kozar[_4_] is offline

Default DE-barking a log half

In article ,
wrote:

I am doing some turning as a beginner and find that removing the bark
from a bowl blank to be time consuming and tool dulling.

I am looking for a way of removing bark on a green blank.

Am wondering if a right angle grinder with some sort of blade would
work but I can't find the right kind of blade.

Any ideas.

Thanks.

I've turned a couple hundred bowls from green wood, and if the bark
isn't loose enough to peel off by hand, I turn it off. It's much quicker
and easier. It takes a lot less energy to sharpen a gouge than to get
the bark off. You might want to get David Ellsworth's video on his
signature gouge. He uses the gouge in a different way, that removes the
bark and shapes the bowl easier than the older methods