Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris French Chris French is offline

Default House rewiring

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Uncle Peter wrote:
A woman just told me she had her house rewired because it hadn't been
done for 30 years. Have you ever bothered? I mean if it works, why not
just leave it? Wire doesn't rot.

It would depend on how comprehensive the original installation was. If it
were very basic, it might just be easier to start again if you want a
fairly sophisticated setup. But if it was well designed and installed
using quality materials, I'd certainly not expect it to *need* replacing.
The installation here is basically more than 30 years old done by myself.
But has been extended over the years, and a new CU fitted.

Yeah, going by the history of this house, and the fittings used (it was
sold in the late 60's and was largely unchanged since the 20-30's by the
sounds of it) most of our installation probably dates from circa 1970 or
so. Obviously with additions/modification over the years

The cable all seems sound, CPC on the lighting circuits, we even seem to
have a reasonable number of sockets (but no fixed lighting in the
sitting room for some reason). There have a been a couple of faults,
down to some dodgy wiring in the back of sockets, and I put in a new CU
a few years ago. I find that I am gradually replacing the switches and
sockets as they are either knackered or just look pretty scruffy once a
room is redecorated.

But basically it's fine

--
Chris French