Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default House rewiring

Uncle Peter wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Uncle Peter wrote

A woman just told me she had her house rewired because it hadn't been
done for 30 years.

Mad.

Have you ever bothered?

Nope, and I did mine when I built the house in the very early 70s.

I mean if it works, why not just leave it? Wire doesn't rot.

The insulation can deteriorate, but not that quickly with stuff done 30
years ago.

The insulation of mine is fine and some of it gets stinking hot in summer
because its on top of the insulated ceiling, with a flat metal decking
roof
only a foot above that and we can get 10 days in a row over 100F in
summer.

I'm in Scotland and I fitted an extractor on a thermostat for the attic,

I don't have any attic or even roofspace you can get into.
The roofspace is at most 15" deep at the deepest in the
center and goes down to about 12" at the edge of the roof.

I don't care about what temperature it gets to
because its above the well insulated ceiling.

And you'd need a hell of a lot more than an extractor
fan to do much about the temperature when its 110F
outside on a stinking hot summer day with the sun
beating down on the decking roof.

as I was getting stuff like paint etc drying out up there.

I don't have anything up there except the electrical wiring.

All the plumbing is under the concrete slab
and never goes anywhere near the roofspace.

Plus I used to have computers running up there which kinda didn't like hot
summer days.

Mine don't care even when the house gets up to 40C
if its got no one in it and I haven't got the cooler on.

Red meat isn't bad for you. Fuzzy blue-green meat is bad for you.

We survived over a summer where we got a meat
delivery twice a week with the mailman and no fridge
at all. It could get pretty fuzzy blue green at times.