Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default OT Should I tell the police?

On 10/18/14, 10:03 AM, wrote:
Here in Ontario, and most of canada, showing a red light or
reflector to the front is illegal except for emergency vehicles.
Volunteer fire fighters use a green light, service vehicles use amber,
and snow removal use blue. Red and blue together is POLICE ONLY. Red
and white is fire or ambulance, Blue and yellow is highway salter.
sander, or plough..

When we were night rallying, we had a red maplight to protect our
night vision - got pulled over by the cops because they could see red
light from the front. We got off with a warning and a full citation of
the applicable laws - that was 34 years ago so I do not have the
"chapter and verse" We went to a dark amber lens from then on.

Found it... I think...

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90h08_e.htm#BK120

Section 6 (62)
Red light in front
"(15) In addition to the lighting requirements in this Part, a vehicle
described in subsection (15.1) may carry lamps that cast a red light
only or such other colour of light that may, with the approval of the
ministry, be designated by a by-law of the municipality in which the
vehicle is operated, but no other motor vehicle shall carry any lamp
that casts a red light to the front. 1998, c. 35, s. 103."

(Outre les exigences en matière d’éclairage prévues par la présente
partie, un véhicule visé au paragraphe (15.1) peut être muni de feux
émettant une lumière rouge seulement ou une autre couleur qui peut, avec
l’approbation du ministère, être désignée par un règlement municipal
adopté par la municipalité dans laquelle le véhicule est utilisé.
Toutefois, nul autre véhicule automobile ne doit être muni d’un feu
émettant une lumière rouge à l’avant. 1998, chap. 35, art. 103.)

Where is Inspector Clousseau when I need him to translate! I'm
surprised the police officer could see the map light from in front of
the vehicle. I haven't found any restrictions on reflectors.
(Naturally, I would have removed my red tape if I thought it presented a
confusing appearance.)