Posted to rec.woodworking

Default DE-barking a log half

On 10/21/2014 12:08 PM, Drew Lawson wrote:
In article
"tdacon" writes:
wrote in message ...

I am looking for a way of removing bark on a green blank.

This is kind of low-tech, but how about using a bark spud and just peeling
it off by hand?

Another common method is to use a hatchet.
It probably depends on the size and shape of the piece.

(a bark spud is kind of like a great big wood chisel with a long handle -
you push it down the log peeling up the bark)

Tom

I've used a ******* file on some wood. It is the file that has hooks to
grab wood. I use it two-handed. Grind the wood with the center area.

Just remember with a tool of any type can grab something and pull in or
throw the tool out at you.

Martin