Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default House rewiring

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
A woman just told me she had her house rewired because it hadn't been
done for 30 years. Have you ever bothered? I mean if it works, why
not just leave it? Wire doesn't rot.

The copper wire might not but the insulation around it certainly does -
especially if there is some ozone about. Take a look at what happens to
Post Office rubber bands after a year or so and then worry about it!

30 years ago was 1984. PVC insulation was around 20 odd years before that
- and well before the change to metric cable around '70. Also I'd not be
sure rubber bands use the same rubber as used for cable insulation. Car
tyres don't self destruct in a year either.

If you are still on prehistoric round pin plugs and wire fuses then it
is probably time for a rewiring by now.

Eh? The 13 amp final ring system dates from just after WW2 - and most new
installations used it shortly afterwards. Obviously round pin sockets were
still around till much later - but I doubt were used in any new
installation 30 years ago. Wire fuses are different.

There is also the risk of rodents sharpening their teeth on your wiring
with accumulating damage until they bridge live and neutral. But that
can happen to modern wiring sometimes if you are very unlucky.

It could well be *more* likely with PVC than rubber.

--
*I didn't drive my husband crazy -- I flew him there -- it was faster

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.