Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Actual Metalworking Project in Use

On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 16:51:53 -0500, Pete Keillor
wrote:

On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 11:03:14 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 11:29:39 -0500, Pete Keillor
wrote:

These are pics of the sail line reel I built a couple years ago and a
recent fishing trip to the west end of Christmas Bay, Brazoria County,
Texas. I dragged the piece of aluminum I built it out of through
three moves over 25 years, finally built the thing after I retired.
Mounted it on a pawn shop moving dolly after ditching the nose piece.
The red tags are the license tags, required for each 100 yards I let
it out, up to 600 yards max. There are thirty circle hook drops
within 200 ft. of the sail. I mix live and dead bait, shrimp, mullet,
and piggies.

The main line attachment to the float is on a piece of sailboat track.
Adjustment can vary the angle off dead downwind by about 40-45 deg.
either side.

Oh, I'm the fat old grey headed guy.

http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/SailLine01.jpg The sail line
reel, powered by an old wiper motor.
http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/SailLine02.jpg The reel in
action. My wife said I should have added a level wind.
http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/SailLine03.jpg Wading out to
remove fish and replace bait. The float is a catamaran fashioned of
4" pvc sewer pipe.
http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/SailLine04.jpg The best catch
that day, 25" speck. (speckled trout, spotted weakfish, etc.)

Pete Keillor

Its legal to run a big assed trotline out like that in your area?

PJ O'Rourke

Yep, it's in the regs. They started doing this in Nueces County
(Corpus Christi) at least 50 years ago, probably longer. My wife grew
up doing it as a kid, which is why we got into it.

It was great when we had small kids, and will be great again when we
have grandkids. They can chase hermit crabs, try to catch mullet,
minnows, etc., raise all the hell they want, and the reds, trout and
flounder 400 yds. away on that reef aren't going to notice.

I've heard that it's illegal in Austalia but allowed in New Zealand. A
charter guy out of Coffs Harbor, NSW told me that.

Pete

Its illegal as hell in a lot of US states. Which is why I asked.

Some states allow you to put on 2-3 hooks, others..one only. Fishing
plugs with double hooks were an issue in a number of them.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke