Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Brad point drills from Wilkinson (Wilko)

In article ,
MM wrote:
Strangely I've seen this too with these type of drills - the set I have
is branded Black and Decker. One of them is bent. And none what I'd
call sharp. I've never had a bent HSS drill, so I'd guess it's down to
how they're made? Softer steel which can bend - whereas HSS just break?

Obviously inferior quality steel and/or manufacturing process. The
stores don't give a damn as long as they can sell 'em to some mugs
(i.e. me in this case). Time to speak to a few carpenters, cabinet
makers I reckon. See what they recommend. Of course, there's always
flat bits intead... hmm.

Think the idea of these dedicated wood bit with the strange point is they
give a cleaner hole in wood - and are less likely to wander. They also
have a different spiral to clear the waste more efficiently?

Flat bits are very quick in an electric drill - but can make quite a mess
as they exit.

I must admit to simply using HSS in wood these days. Lifting out every now
and gain to clear the waste. Or augurs where I must have a decent hole, in
the larger sizes.

--
*Re-elect nobody

Dave Plowman London SW