Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John G[_6_] John G[_6_] is offline

Default How to change 240v 3ph plug to 240v single ph plug

Larry Jaques has brought this to us :
On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 19:04:09 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 23:18:02 +0000, Lucky Dave
wrote:

Have three phase 240 volt in my shop. Need to change plug to 240v single
phase

Remove (1) hot wire.

Dontcha get 208 or 262v out of that, depending on wiring style?
(delta v. wye)

I rest my case. There are so many possibilities in the US.

In Aus the domestic supply is nominally 230/400 volts wherever but many
old installations are still at 240/415 which is not much of a problem.
Any suburban house will have 4 wire three phase 230/400 at the street,
Only those wanting it, Air Con etc will have all three phases
connected, but thats the way it is anywhere.
Of course there are industires with higher voltages and special
conditions.

--
John G Sydney.