Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Rant - This country is screwed up

On 10/19/2014 3:15 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, October 15, 2014 9:16:18 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

Scroll down a touch and you will see the free one. ATT and other

carriers do this too.

Sorry, old chum. No free lunch, no free ride. Free means no strings attached. Free would mean I could walk into the Apple store and ask for a phone, they would hand me one, we would shake hands and I would walk out.

Not the case, and the phone companies have been doing this for years. They simply add the price of the phone to the plan. To get your "free" phone, all you have to do is sign a two year contract based on your desire to get a "free" phone. To find out how "free" the phone actually is, cancel your two year contract, or more immediately, drive the Apple store and try to walk out with a new Apple phone of any model without signing a 24 month commitment or paying for the phone.

To follow up your link, this is the next step called "choosing your carrier".

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-iphone/iphone5c

Note that they actually do offer that phone contract free, unlocked and ready to go as a phone ONLY for a mere $450.

Just sayin'. Everything costs something.

My younger sister crows about the fact that she has a new Samsung Galaxy that was "free". Really excited!

She was really upset and nearly refused to believe she was paying for the phone until we contacted Verizon and they told her that she could get the same service plan with her own Samsung Galaxy for $25 less a month with no 24 month commitment. Probably not so coincidentally, the 24 months X $25 per month extra she is paying is exactly the price of her Galaxy of $599.

Robert

Robert

Well yes, the phone will cost you, but the phone itself is free. It
only stands to reason that you will need to agree to a 2 year plan, the
phone is worthless with out the plan.

But as a comparison, the 2 year plan/ commitment cost is the same for
the free phone as it is for the $500 iPhone 6+, and $500 less.