Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Sanity Clause Sanity Clause is offline

Default OT for home repair -- Urgent -- How to remove rear lower control arm, Toyota?

"micky" wrote:

you need to remove everything else, then drop the "suspension member", the
subframe thing in the middle that all the side-to-side arms connect to.
Have fun.

I don't want to do all that. :-( Every bolt will be stuck The way
they say to do it, there will be 18 of them, plus 4 more rusty ones if I
have to remove the center exhaust pipe, and I bet I do. (Yep, it's in
the webpage you just gave me.) Plus I'll have to replace the gasket at
each end of the pipe. I wonder if the pro's really do all that.
If so, it makes $121 or 210 (Firestone or Toyota), labor only, look
rather like a bargain.

It's not that hard. I'd just drive it into the middle service bay, put it up on the
hoist, get out the air-powered impact wrenches, giant box-end wrenches,
"hot" wrenches (acetylene and inductive), the 6-foot jack stands, 4-foot
pry bars, etc,etc... and have at it.

Did I mention I work in a shop?
And yes, we would "do all that", at least on one side. :-)

I've started thinking I don't have to remove all those control arms, just
the 4 bolts and 2 nuts and 8 stops holding that center plate on, and it
might fall enough to get this bolt out.

You can try, but I usually find it faster just to undo things and get them out
of the way, rather than fighting with parts that are blocking other parts,
or are trying to push them out of alignment while I'm putting that stupid
bolt back in the stupid hole that keeps moving around, dammit!!!! :-)