Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default water heater liners

On 10/18/2014 12:24 PM, Ian Malcolm wrote:
Charlie+ wrote in
I also installed a permanent drain line, so that the calcium carbonate
will not accumulate again.

snip

What are these tanks made of that they need sacrificial anodes (of
magnesium etc. I assume)? As far as I know over here most/all these
type of tanks and cylinders are Cu sheet and have no anodes of this
type.. ! Informative post tho! C+

Over in the UK they tend to be copper or stainless and maintenance free
lifespans of 40+ years are not unusual. e.g. Albion brand stainless hot
water cylinders dont use any anodes and have a 25 year anti-corrosion
warrenty on the tank. The immersion heater element circuit should be RCD
protected, both for safety and so that any insulation failure will be
detected before significant electrolytic corrosion can occur.

Whoever first introduced vitreous enamel-lined mild steel hot water tanks
to the American market did you all a great disservice.

Subject line change, no charge.