Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe gwinn Joe gwinn is offline

Default Source for spring wire

In article , Paul
Hovnanian P.E. wrote:

Carl Ijames wrote:

We bought small springs from Lee Spring and Century Spring, over the years
at work. Both are online, and both will make customs if you need them.
Can you buy a replacement lockset from Porsche and then either rekey it or
scavenge it for parts :-)?

I have the old lockset. Took it apart and it appears that some of the
springs had gotten gummed up and bent to where the 'pins' (its actually a
really oddball setup) would not return. Replacing the bad springs should fix
it.

I probably could cannabalize some old locksets (maybe not even Porsche) for
springs. I was just hoping to find the wire and make some myself. Winding
them around a sewing needle should work. But that wire is tough to find.

Go to a locksmith supply store in any major city. They have repair
parts for just about anything of the kind. And lots of locksmiths will
sell such things as well, and/or tell you where to look.

Joe Gwinn