Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N[_2_] N8N[_2_] is offline

Default volt meter review

On Saturday, October 18, 2014 6:55:33 AM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 21:24:23 -0600, Tony Hwang

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 10/16/2014 9:54 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I have 2 of the Simpson 260s. I like them very much,but for most

things I

still like the digital meters. Hard to read the 260 down to a tenth of a

volt.

Looking on ebay there is a lot of stuff comming out very inexpensive

that

has a led readout and is just the circuit board. You are on your own

for a

case to put them in. I ordered 4 voltmeters for less than $ 6 jsut to

see

about them. It surprised me. They would read from 0 to 99.9 volts if

you

used a seperate power supply, or you could hook them up to read from

about 4

volts to 30 volts and draw the powe from the circuit under test.

Three of

them tracked from 5 volts to 25 volts to the decimal place and one was

only

one tenth off sometimes. They read the same as my Fluke digital meter.

I also bought another readout that goes from about 90 to about 300

volts AC.

It only reads out to the volt, but I put it in a plastic case and

leave it

plugged in to monitor the voltage comming into the house. I think it was

less than $ 6. It shows the same as the Fluke also.

How do you like the free ones from Harbor Freight?

I use them on regular basis.

Hi,

If U get one Fluke, it'll last life time.

Assuming you dont lose it, drop it from a great height or have it

stolen.

Ive got (8) Flukes. Good meters and rugged.

And they are accurate. Some are complicated..most are dead nuts easy

to run.

Ive also got 5 Simpson 260s...3 being the Bakelite shell units..2 the

later nylon shells.

All work nicely.

I hoarded one when I retired, together with tool kit, Simpson 260 Series

5, Tek oscilloscope, Hakko ESD Soldering station with assortment of

tips, and tube tester which I use when I work on guitar amps and vintage

tube HiFi gear as a hobby.

Need any more scopes? Ive got 6 and only need 2

If you're offering, I don't have one at all...

nate