Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics
Jim Thompson[_3_] Jim Thompson[_3_] is offline

Default PING: Kevin Aylward, Diode Model Question

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 09:08:45 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

On Thu, 16 Oct 2014 16:10:47 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Hi Kevin,

Suppose I wanted to model JUST the capacitance portion of a diode? No
DC current, etc.

The equation "fold-over" at VD~FC*VJ looks to be PITA to implement.

Maybe you know of a way to trick a full diode model into not doing its
DC thing ?:-}

...Jim Thompson

Isn't that just a nonlinear capacitor?

Version 4
SHEET 1 1096 680

[snip]
TEXT 8 -96 Left 2 ;Nonlinear Capacitor C:V Curve
TEXT 48 -56 Left 2 ;J Larkin August 11, 2014
TEXT 480 -96 Left 2 ;Cap is 1F at low voltage
TEXT 536 -56 Left 2 ;0.1F at 1 volt

The diode _junction_ capacitance has two separate equations with a
break-point set by FC.

I _could_ implement it using one of my TANH blenders, but the
Maynard/Aylward method, set N=100 makes it trivial... let Spice manage
the zone problem.

Would you be interested in conducting some diode recovery time
experiments? As I'm developing this model, I'm trying to match up the
coefficients with measured and datasheet terms... so that they drop
right into the subcircuit.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |