Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default If a thread takes months, is it better to stay on the same thread?

Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 18:33:21 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

My habits are to read the top 10 or 20 threads (whatever fits on one
screen), so, I wouldn't see a thread that is old, by a few weeks.

On the other hand, there's a thread about the treehouse in the redwoods
which will likely take months, as each stage has multiple questions for
improvement.

Is it better to post each separate question, and then each thread goes to
the top? Or, better to re-use the old thread?

Why would you want to start a new thread for each question on the same
topic? Even if a thread has dozens or even hundreds of posts they are
all in one thread and easy to follow. With several different new
threads how could one even follow all of the nested threads that with
your idea wouldn't be in the other threads?

Would you even *see* posts in an old thread? (I wouldn't.)

Yes. Why wouldn't you?

Instead of trying to read hundreds of posts, it would be much easier to
search for a paticular problem, and get the answer much faster. Subject
lines define the search first.

Greg