Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Can and LED floodlight possibly be as bright as a real floodlight?

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 15:11:51 -0700, John Robertson
wrote:

On 10/13/2014, 2:31 PM, micky wrote:
On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 08:58:56 +1100, Trevor Wilson
wrote:

**In general terms, halogen flood lights are capable of between 5 ~ 10
Lumens/Watt. Good quality LEDs can manage between 100 ~ 120 Lumens/Watt.
I recently purchased a cheap, Chinese 100 Watt LED + power supply.
Without a reflector, it provides superior lighting to a standard 500
Watt halogen lamp (with reflector).

I took a couple of photos and found that the camera saw things
differently to the human eye. Although the halogen was distinctly yellow
and the LED very white, the amount of illumination was similar.

You're right should have compared lumens earlier on.

The maker's website
http://www.lithonia.com/commercial/2....VDrPJ 1fDuM0
says about the one I was interested in "Each head contains (3) 4780K
high performance LEDs. Lumen output of 1,222 "

That's total for both heads. 1719 Lumens for a 3-head version.

Then I looked at 100 watt incandescent. Between 1000 and 1500 lumen
times 2 bulbs = 2000 to 3000 lumen.

So I don't know whether to buy 1222 LED lumens for $117 or 1719 lumens
for $150.

Or stay with incandescent for maybe $35 and hope they don't burn out so
fast if I get a good brand that doesn't turn on with the wind. I
almost never go there at night so if they don't turn on in the wind,
they'll burn less than 5 hours a year 2000 hour lifespan will be 400
years. Ugh.

50W LED flood is around 4,000 Lumens...and you can get them for around
$80USD @ Home Depot.

I pretty much retract my first reply. I found over 2000 lumen, with
motion sensor for $89, at Lowes, not HD.

Do try to get ones that are UL (or CSA for Canada) approved for safety's
sake.

For sure. Thanks.

John :-#)#