Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Randy333 Randy333 is offline

Default Thanks, McMaster-Carr

On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 20:32:40 -0700 (PDT), Ken Grunke
wrote:

I needed some aluminum tubing for a project, and after checking a few online sources, McMaster-Carr had the type and size I needed for a reasonable price so I put my order through with my credit card at noon yesterday. I was concerned that no shipping charges were added to the order so I sent a friendly note via the "Contact Us" link asking about that.
A half hour later came the reply from Naima:

" Thank you for the feedback. Shipping charges are determined when an order is weighed and shipped. I estimate shipping for the aluminum tubes you ordered to cost $5 to La Farge, WI.

Whenever you need a shipping estimate before you place an order, please let us know the items and the destination, and we will quote shipping charges at that time."

OK, so sounds good. So I figured when they are ready to ship, I'll get the invoice, which I get this morning.

Shipping charge is $9.36 for two 6" lengths of aluminum tubing, 1 1/2" OD & 1 1/4" OD. I assumed the order hadn't been sent yet so I sent a note asking to cancel the order because I felt the shipping was too high. Almost double Naima's estimation.

I was ready to call the bank and see if I could stop the charge when Naima's reply arrived:

"I apologize that the shipping estimate was not correct. We'll credit your credit card $4.36 to match our estimate."

Wow. That's cool. I decided to accept Naima's kind offer, sent a note of thanks and gave the order a go-ahead. OK, I'm a pushover, I know. I just didn't have time to sit and mess around with the hassle of trying to cancel the charge and make a new order with a different source. I had stuff to do, people to see, etc.

So I get back home this afternoon to see the package from McMaster-Carr on the doorstep. I was flabbergasted. Sent from Chicago by UPS Ground to my place, in SW Wisconsin, in about 27 hours from the order! I had no idea UPS could do that. Sure, only a 5 hour drive but no red tape? No sitting in a distribution center in some ridiculously far and out-of-the-way city like St. Louis, MO or Denver, CO?

Just wanted to give a public tip o'the hat to the company for it's great customer service. And thanks also to UPS.

WOW, you don't order much stuff do you. McMaster's shipping charges
are the most reasonable around. Try some of the online metal places,
I've gotten a nice low price on the material, then a 15 dollar cutting
charge and a $20.00 S&H charge.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

---