Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default OT Should I tell the police?

On Wednesday, October 15, 2014 8:15:26 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/15/2014 4:13 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

Same here. So when a car was left overnight across the street from my

house, my neighbors called the cops. The cops blew them off. So the

hubby goes to check out the car. He discovered it was unlocked and had

camera and computer gear on the front seat. He called the cops again,

thinking it must have been stolen, only to be blown off again. He was

*furious* - and then he got a call from the chief of police. It was a

bait car. They were trying to catch a thief, but all the attention he

was paying to the car was not helping. The chief asked him to knock it

off and keep quiet about it. Naturally, he spread the word, and

naturally, no thief touched the car. After a week, the cops showed up

and towed it awaY

Good. I don't like the idea of using bait cars, bikes, etc. It may

catch a thief, but it may tempt an otherwise non=thief to make a dumb

decision. If I was a judge, I'd toss most of those cases.

Fortunately you're not a judge, those cases have withstood legal challenges
and they almost always result in a conviction. I see absolutely nothing
wrong with a bait car,
where they leave a rigged car in a high car theft area, leave it unlocked,
keys in it. I'm amazed you'd think that's tempting a non-thief. If
you go into a car you don't own and drive away, you are a thief, period.
If they didn't take the bait car, it would be someone else's car and
the perps would likely never be caught.