Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Grunke Ken  Grunke is offline

Default Thanks, McMaster-Carr

I needed some aluminum tubing for a project, and after checking a few online sources, McMaster-Carr had the type and size I needed for a reasonable price so I put my order through with my credit card at noon yesterday. I was concerned that no shipping charges were added to the order so I sent a friendly note via the "Contact Us" link asking about that.
A half hour later came the reply from Naima:

" Thank you for the feedback. Shipping charges are determined when an order is weighed and shipped. I estimate shipping for the aluminum tubes you ordered to cost $5 to La Farge, WI.

Whenever you need a shipping estimate before you place an order, please let us know the items and the destination, and we will quote shipping charges at that time."

OK, so sounds good. So I figured when they are ready to ship, I'll get the invoice, which I get this morning.

Shipping charge is $9.36 for two 6" lengths of aluminum tubing, 1 1/2" OD & 1 1/4" OD. I assumed the order hadn't been sent yet so I sent a note asking to cancel the order because I felt the shipping was too high. Almost double Naima's estimation.

I was ready to call the bank and see if I could stop the charge when Naima's reply arrived:

"I apologize that the shipping estimate was not correct. We'll credit your credit card $4.36 to match our estimate."

Wow. That's cool. I decided to accept Naima's kind offer, sent a note of thanks and gave the order a go-ahead. OK, I'm a pushover, I know. I just didn't have time to sit and mess around with the hassle of trying to cancel the charge and make a new order with a different source. I had stuff to do, people to see, etc.

So I get back home this afternoon to see the package from McMaster-Carr on the doorstep. I was flabbergasted. Sent from Chicago by UPS Ground to my place, in SW Wisconsin, in about 27 hours from the order! I had no idea UPS could do that. Sure, only a 5 hour drive but no red tape? No sitting in a distribution center in some ridiculously far and out-of-the-way city like St.. Louis, MO or Denver, CO?

Just wanted to give a public tip o'the hat to the company for it's great customer service. And thanks also to UPS.