Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default installing hinges question

On 10/14/2014 9:51 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

The jams were MDF. I marked the locations with a pencil around the
hinge, used a utility knife to score the out line, and a sharp chisel
to remove the material. This was not a problem but must be VERY careful
not to go too far. IMHO it was easier than chiseling wood as
there was no grain to contend with. Ultimately a freehand trim
router may have been better for removing the material after marking
and scoring. Tedious on both counts.

Agreed in my experience with chiseling mdf. Both a blessing and a curse.
It does chisel easily from the standpoint of there being no grain, but it
does take a nice sharp chisel and a careful hand. Almost more of a paring
than a real chisel work.

Yeah! LOL. I did not use a hammer at all, strictly hand power.