Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N[_2_] N8N[_2_] is offline

Default OT Should I tell the police?

On Wednesday, October 15, 2014 1:38:51 AM UTC-4, Robert Macy wrote:
On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 22:06:18 -0700, micky wrote:

...snip...

Would you tell the police where it is before they told you it was stolen

or misplated?

Wow! I sincerely hope it is as you envision, and you're truly helping. It

is very sad that police have instilled so much distrust. Here's a case of,

"I would call a friend in the department and talk to him/her." Do you know

anybody with close ties? I would also be very reluctant to say anything

'generically'. I've seen people who wish to help by giving eye witness

statements end up coming under scrutiny as the perp!! And if you knew

them, anyone would see that was ridiculous. The police had no discernment

and should have known better.

Do you have a good relationship with your auto insurance rep? If so, they

have access to all kinds of information, they don't have to tell you any

details, but confirm any information for you without breaching any of

their confidentiality. It would be nice to find out the guy just parked

his car there, so he wouldn't have to pay airport parking, or such.

Envision the guy returning at 2am to pick up his car and now he won't find

the tire flat.

Of course people mistrust the police that much... it's sad but true. Yeah, you have to know people, and I think Micky did the right thing by not giving them the location without some assurances.

nate