Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default OT Should I tell the police?

On 10/15/14, 7:56 PM, wrote:
And red reflective tape on the front of a car is ILLEGAL.

Where is it illegal?

My bike has a fairing 33" wide. It was black when I bought it in 1972.
From the front view, most of it was the windshield, which sometimes
broke when I hit potholes.

The more massive I looked from the front, the less I had to leave the
road because a driver looked right at me and violated my right of way.
To look more massive and make the windshield smaller and less prone to
breakage, I used fiberglass to extend the fairing up to 52". I painted
the whole fairing yellow. Above it, across the base of the windshield,
I put a piece of red reflective tape, 2" wide and 20" long. It's at the
height of the top of a car windshield. I didn't care if it was
reflective. I wanted it bright and permanent.

I've ridden that way in 49 states and 6 provinces. No one has ever told
me it was illegal or even shown disapproval.

I haven't done it to a car, but in some circumstances I've thought a
bright color just above the windshield would have made a car easier to
spot, like my bike.