Posted to rec.woodworking
Spalted Walt Spalted Walt is offline

Default Grizzly G0555 Bandsaw Tracking Problems

On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 15:25:36 +0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

I have owned a Grizzly G0555 bandsaw for about seven years. It has a riser
block and uses 105" blades.

I have not been able to get the saw blades to track properly since I bought
the saw. The only way I can get the blade centered on the upper wheel is if
I tighten the tracking adjustment as far in as it will go. However, the
blade seems to ride right on the front edge of the lower wheel no matter
what I do.

I spent time last week trying to make sure the two wheels were coplaner. I
had to shim the lower wheel out about 1/4 inch. But I was concerned about
the lower wheel hanging off the shaft that far, so I removed one of the
spacers so it's only shimmed out 1/8" now.

It seemed like it was tracking better till I put a new blade on this week.
Now it wants to track on the front edge of BOTH wheels? I have the upper
support bearing behind the blade adjusted as far forward as it will go and
it's still 1/4" behind the blade.

I even tried to loosen the bolt going through the riser block to see if I
could shift things, but it has pins that keep it from moving.

What am I doing wrong?

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com

In 2010 I bought a Grizzly G0555X and riser block and had the same issues with
blade alignment as you.
It turned out that, just as John McCoy mentioned, to be the riser block was
installed 180 deg off.

Look at your riser, it should have an 'up arrow' on the BACK of the casting (the
motor side). If the up arrow is on the front side, it's backwards and needs to
be rotated 180 deg.

This picture shows the front side of the riser
http://cdn0.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg100...9bcb289b8b.jpg