Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default OT Should I tell the police?

On 10/15/2014 4:13 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

Same here. So when a car was left overnight across the street from my
house, my neighbors called the cops. The cops blew them off. So the
hubby goes to check out the car. He discovered it was unlocked and had
camera and computer gear on the front seat. He called the cops again,
thinking it must have been stolen, only to be blown off again. He was
*furious* - and then he got a call from the chief of police. It was a
bait car. They were trying to catch a thief, but all the attention he
was paying to the car was not helping. The chief asked him to knock it
off and keep quiet about it. Naturally, he spread the word, and
naturally, no thief touched the car. After a week, the cops showed up
and towed it awaY

Good. I don't like the idea of using bait cars, bikes, etc. It may
catch a thief, but it may tempt an otherwise non=thief to make a dumb
decision. If I was a judge, I'd toss most of those cases.