Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default OT Should I tell the police?

On 10/15/14, 2:31 PM, micky wrote:
On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 08:29:52 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 10/15/2014 8:12 AM, Norminn wrote:
I get a little absent minded now and then. When I drove an '84 Buick
Regal, it was easy to find my car in a parking lot. Now I drive a
silver '10 Corolla and twice I've opened the door of the wrong car in
the grocery store parking lot just as the owner was approaching their
car. Embarassing; they just smiled.

I'd be tempted to put some nondescript
sticker inside one of the windows.

Kids animated figure or some thing. Just
so your car is distinctive.

My mother put some plastic fern or ball on the antenna, but that was
more so she could find it in a parking lot than to distinguish it from
cars that looked alike.

My antenna retracts, so I couldn't do that if I wanted to. And a lot
of people don' have antennas?, or have little ones.

Some parking lots are huge. I've had the experience of approaching a
parked car that looked like mine. I've experienced a moment of fear
when I walked down the row where I thought it was, and it wasn't.

A strip of red reflective tape, 2 or 3" wide, across the car, just above
the windshield, and another just above the back window. If you can see
the roof line, you'll know your car from hundreds of yards away.

If you're coming over a rise at 60, and a car is at a stop sign ahead,
only your roof line may be visible. Depending on the color of your car
and the background, it may be inconspicuous. The strip of red should
catch the driver's eye.

That tape is hard to remove. If I were looking for cars to steal, I
wouldn't consider one with red tape that made it stand out like a sore
thumb.