Posted to alt.home.repair
Moe DeLoughan Moe DeLoughan is offline

Default OT Should I tell the police?

On 10/15/2014 12:47 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
"Oren" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 10:21:41 -0700, "Pico Rico"
wrote:

I doubt these data mining companies really care about the law and some
are actually located offshore.

The site pointed to in the above link is not offshore

www.peoplepublicrecords.org

Hosted in: Garden City, New York, United States.

just sayin'

and how careful are they in verifying a person's authorization? I am
pretty
sure at least one has been forged in the past.

I'm not certain what you mean by "authorization". I maintained
network nodes to access government information before, but was not
authorized to use it myself. It was very specific as to who had
access to the data and how it was conducted and accounted for.

I was referring to this type of authorization/consent:

"Also, it's not unusual to restrict individual access to only that
individual's information; if you want someone else's, you need their written
consent."

It has most certainly happened. For instance, the birther lunatics
have openly boasted about forging credentials in order to unlawfully
access the President's Selective Service record. They've also gained
access to commercial databases to get his SSN and publicized that. In
my state, there's a huge pile of lawsuits pending due to persons
working in law enforcement and other parts of the government who
habitually snooped the records of many private individuals. It's one
thing to have a cop run your plate on a traffic stop. It's another
thing to find out that the cops were routinely looking up information
on any pretty girl they encountered, as well as on their neighbors,
and their exes' significant others, etc.
People found this out by filing requests to see who'd accessed their
data. One woman discovered that her records had been accessed by
dozens of cops hundreds of time. It turned out that one of the cops
decided she was hot, and spread the word, so all of his buddies looked
her up, too.