Posted to rec.woodworking
G. Ross G. Ross is offline

Default Which blade to resaw green wood?

HerHusband wrote:
I have a Grizzly 14" G0555 bandsaw with a riser kit. I primarily
just use it for resawing.
I have been using the 105" Woodslicer blade which performs OK.
Unfortunately, I tried resawing some green logs today and the blade
had lots of problems with binding and warping. I assume the blade is
toast now.
After the fact, of course, I read that Woodslicer is specifically NOT
recommended for sawing green lumber. Ooops. Live and learn.
I've also read that I shouldn't use a blade thicker than .025" on a
14" bandsaw. The blades I've seen for green lumber are all thicker
than that.
Are there any bandsaw blades you would recommend for resawing green
lumber?

Fewer teeth, less than one per inch. And the guides can be a problem.
roller guides tend to hammer the debris onto the blade, ceramic guides
tend to keep the blades clean.

First, it turns out I had a Timberwolf blade installed on the saw, not
that it made a difference.

I ended up buying a "woodturners" blade from highland woodworking:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/w...dsawblade.aspx

It performed MUCH better in green wood. I was able to saw several two
foot long logs into 1" thick boards easily.

The only real issue I had was buildup on the bandsaw tires. I would have
to stop periodically and use a putty knife to scrape the sawdust from the
tires. It was really stuck on there.

Also, I had to readjust for drift after cutting several boards.

I now have a good stack of boards from a Holly tree and a few boards from
a plum tree. The plum wood is beautiful, but the tree was mostly rotten
and bug infested (worms and ants) so there wasn't much I could salvage
from it. I cut it mostly as an experiment in making lumber, but I have no
idea what I'm going to use it for. It'll take at least a year to dry, so
I guess I have time to figure something out.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com

Glue the head of an old toothbrush so that it brushes the top of the
bottom tire.
Use a dust collector to extract the loose dust from the lower housing.
This will keep a lot of the dust from going up to the top housing
and sticking on the tire.
Use metal or ceramic blade guides. This keeps a lot of the stuff from
sticking on the blade.
Spray a litle pam on the sides of the blades while it is running. This
helps to prevent build-up.

You may be doing all or most of these things already, but they help.

--
 GW Ross

 I have read and understood the above.