Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Question on gas struts for a table top

On Tuesday, October 14, 2014 5:36:55 PM UTC-5, John McCoy wrote:
I'd suggest looking at an RV parts store. RVs tend to
have lots of stuff which lifts up and folds down, with
gas struts of various sizes.

Not knowing how to size a gas strut, I'd suggest planning
for multiple (if possible) and taking some out if it's too
much lift.

The table top will only be 20" X 50" and 2" seems overkill for thickness or stability, especially if it has a skirt. A 1" top shouldn't be that heavy, to require struts.

The back edge will need some little space for hinging, so why not make that space 2"-3" deep, then the lifted top will have room to lean back and stay put (maybe with a latch), without having to have struts to keep it in the upright position. I doubt it would remain up for long periods of time, anyway, if the lower cabinet will be storage.

The space is to be used for another (other) function(s). The space for the installation of struts, for the top's lifting function, only, seems to me, would take away from the space for storage. Maximizing the storage space would be more important, than the lifting of the table top, which may rarely be raised or remain in the raised position for very long, as compared to the need for max storage space.

Sonny