Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Can and LED floodlight possibly be as bright as a real floodlight?

On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 08:48:37 -0700, wrote:

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 19:57:42 -0400, micky
wrote:

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 01:06:30 +0200, nestork
wrote:

I have a Pelican flashlight with a single LED light source. That
flashlight is brighter than the old equivalent model Pelican Flashlights
with the incandescent bulbs.

So, yes, LED's can be brighter than incandescent bulbs.

I expect you'll have no problems with the LED flood light.

Thanks all.

It turns out this time that the HD price is the same as Amazon, maybe
less, but I just went to the store** and it wasn't in stock. I'm in no
hurry. I'll ship it to the store, or maybe to my house (over 50 dollars
shipping is free)

BTW, it got quite a few complaints about strobing or breaking within a
year on the Amazon site (and also on the HD site that was hard to read)
but overall still scored a 4.8 out of 5 (which should really be 3.8 out
of 4)

**HD didn't have any LED Lithonia floodlights, even though they had a 6
foot wide section, 15 feet high, of Lithonia floodlights etc.
Including a motion sensor that would wirelessly turn on an off mulitple
light sockets. And another one that would turn on and off a receptacle,
and beep when it did so.

WRT lights for the front door, they had Zenith/Heath that had low
lighting for 2, 4 hours or all night, and high lighting if the motion
sensor saw something. And some of the lights by Hampton Bay (house
brand?) had sensor that could control 325 watts, even though the most
that could be used in the light was 100. The other 225 could be
elsewhere, powered by the extra red wire. Lighting has gotten more
complicated since last I looked.

If you are sensitive to strobing you should be wary of lights that
others complain of strobing . Some fluorescent lights I have appear
to flicker in my peripheral vision. Not only is this distracting just
because of the flickering or strobing, I also find myself constantly
looking for whatever is moving. Using incandescent lighting along with
fluorescent lighting cures the strobing or flickering effect for me so
I have both in my shop. I can't detect the strobing by looking
directly at the lights, it is only in my peripheral vision. This of
course makes sense. I want to change to LED lighting and have been
looking at several types and brands of lighting. Part of the problem
is getting lighting that is the right color for me. The industry seems
to be making LED lighting now that is pretty good for most folks so I
am hopeful that in the near future I will be able to convert my
machine shop and house to LEDs.
Eric

But, since they don't make what suits your needs, just think of all the
work changing things that you don't have to do.