Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default installing hinges question

On 10/13/2014 11:58 PM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Need to hang two homemade closet doors at my daughter's place. We are stuck with hinges that have radius-ed corners. Don't want make a template for the router. Want to chisel the relief the old fashioned way. Any tricks you guys can suggest when it comes to the rounded corners.
All I can think of is to scribe the radius with a box cutter blade and then possibly nibble away at the corner with one of the rounded lathe (wood turning) tools.
Also: The jambs are mdf. Any special advise on chiseling mdf???

All advise appreciated. (note: that's a total of sixteen corners)
Thanks

Ivan Vegvary

I moved 2 doors to the opposite side of the openings in a neighbors
home, not the same builder thank goodness.

The jams were MDF. I marked the locations with a pencil around the
hinge, used a utility knife to score the out line, and a sharp chisel to
remove the material. This was not a problem but must be VERY careful
not to go too far. IMHO it was easier than chiseling wood as there was
no grain to contend with. Ultimately a freehand trim router may have
been better for removing the material after marking and scoring.
Tedious on both counts.