Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Shed Question

"Casper" wrote in message

The current hinges are hardly rusted at all. It's just the darn door.
It was never thought of to caulk the trim to prevent water seepage. I
should have known better and I let it get away from me. Still the rest
of the shed is in good condition except for a little on the bottom on
the long sides. Splash up has done a litte damage but I should be able
to repair that easily enough before repainting. Have thought about
running a trim board there too but not sure it's worth it and that
would also require caulking and be another potential water trap.

YMMV but I don't think caulking is a very good fix for the tops of boards
that are attached to something else.

Better, IMO, is pressure treated lumber. Barring that, bevel the top edge
of the horizontal board; even better is to bevel and bed. One could use
caulking to bed...one could also use plumber's putty. Perhaps the best
bedding material is "boatyard bedding compound" which is essentially
plumber's putty with a wood preservative.

--

dadiOH