Posted to alt.home.repair
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

Default Can and LED floodlight possibly be as bright as a real floodlight?

On 14/10/2014 6:45 AM, Jon Elson wrote:
Trevor Wilson wrote:

On 13/10/2014 8:58 AM, Trevor Wilson wrote:

**In general terms, halogen flood lights are capable of between 5 ~ 10
Lumens/Watt.

**Oops. Make that 15 ~ 20 Lumens/Watt.

Still quite mediocre. I've been building my own LED retrofits for
indoor lighting, using Cree 100 Lm/W LEDs. When you add the power
supply, you are down to 80 Lm/W or so, but that is still pretty
good, even better than good CFLs.

**Indeed, but that is one crappy power supply you're using. My 100 Watt
LED modules (cheap, Chinese stuff) are supplied with a constant current
power supply that runs around 95% efficiency. Dunno about the final
Lumens/Watt figure though. I don't trust the Chinese figures supplied
with the LED module. I do know that the thing is plenty bright though.

FWIW: I retro-fitted electronic ballasts to my workshop 2 X 37 Watt (4
foot, NEC HGX) linear fluoros a few years back. Very impressive
reduction in power demands. 96 Watts down to 78 Watts. 3,740 Lumens/tube
(according to NEC). 95 Lumens/Watt (when the tubes are new, of course).
Not too shabby. I tried a couple of those LED fluoro replacements, but I
don't much care for them, compared to the NEC Quad phosphor units.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au