Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D.[_15_] Danny D.[_15_] is offline

Default If a thread takes months, is it better to stay on the samethread?

micky wrote, on Sun, 12 Oct 2014 13:57:14 -0400:

I also automatically mark the entire thread read, the moment I exit,

Even if you want to go back and re-read something?

It *is* a pain if I'm specifically *looking* for a post within a thread.
In generaly, I go to google.groups and do a search to find stuff that
I know was in a specific thread.

with Agent, I don't think there is no way to mark a thread as read

With Pan, you can mark an entire thread as read, or an article, but, mine
is set up, by default, to mark *every* thread as read whenever I *exit*
the newsgroup.

So, my use model is to go in, and see what's new, and then leave, where
the vast majority of threads and articles go unread, but, when I leave,
they're *all* marked read, so that the next time I go in, only the new
stuff is bolded.

One can Ignore a thread, which is fine sometimes.

I use that a lot, to either ignore a thread or to ignore any posts by
someone specifically. (That keeps me out of arguments.)

but unfortunately it just doesn't dl posts in that thread anymore, and
sometimes, with thread drift, I want to see the headers for a later
posts.

I think Pan is similar in that once a thread is ignored, it's gone forever
(unless we wipe out the Pan directory and start anew).