Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default Can and LED floodlight possibly be as bright as a real floodlight?

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 12:20:25 +0100, Charlie+ wrote:

Air source or ground source Heatpump might be the answer for your water
heating by electricity - worth a look? C+

Thanks. I didn't know a heat pump water heater existed. As I skim
thruogh the online literature, I read that heat pumps are good for
room heating/cooling, but not so good for heating water. Some larger
ones use a water tank for a heat conducting fluid, but the water is
not meant to be consumed. There are heat pump water heaters:
http://energy.gov/energysaver/articles/heat-pump-water-heaters
but those are geothermal, not air source. Looking at prices, such
water heaters start at about $1,000 plus installation. I haven't run
the numbers yet, but I suspect the expected savings in electricity
would not cover the cost of the installed system within its expected
lifetime (or mine). I'll do some more reading and see where it leads.
Thanks again.

My solution to the hot water problem is a nuclear powered water
heater. Just a lump of some isotope that produces heat while breaking
down. Fukushima should have plenty of the stuff worth mining. The
nuclear water heater would be lead lined and buried for safety. Water
temperature would be regulated by adding or removing radioactive
pellets. There are also some safety issues that will need to be
addressed.

Actually, this is all academic as we're having a water shortage in
California and unless it rains this winter, there isn't going to be
any water to heat. Meanwhile, I'll probably just do a better job of
insulating the tank and hot water pipes and wait patiently for the
rain and a nuclear water heater.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D