Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Your Thoughts On Trey Gowdy

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 16:42:43 -0500, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 21:59:59 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

snip

Why is our president allowing the export of U.S. oil? And everything
I've read says the Keystone pipeline full of Canadian oil will pass
through our land without us being able to buy it for ourselves. It
would have kept us from having to buy Arab oil. (A good thing, right?)
I don't understand any of this. Why haven't gas and oil become
nationalized for our safety and security? (I mean other than the fact
that all of our gov't workers are being bought off by Big Oil.)

=============================

A short funny:
Many years ago I was peripherally involved in a union
dispute, and had to set in on the grievance hearing. One of
our smarmy management types asked the union reps to "try to
see the problem from our perspective." The reply, which
ended that session was "We've tried several times, but we
can't get our head up our *** that far."

To understand any of this will require one of the most
difficult mental activities, namely putting yourself in
their place and thinking like they do, i. e. a super "method
acting" http://tinyurl.com/4jumto exercise . This includes
considerable sociopathology, with no consideration given to
anyone else, e. g. Ted Bundy in the corner office.
http://tinyurl.com/od79drv These people live in a
completely different world than the huge majority of
humankind, which they regard as "Untermensch."
http://tinyurl.com/7ub4b

Grok that, x3. sigh

As to why several obvious things have not occurred, this
seems to me to be more a result of subliminal non-rational
cultural assumptions and beliefs, which *MAY* have had some
functionality in ages past, but should be consciously
examined and validated in the new socioeconomic era.
FWIW: The wild wild west died a century ago, and the
historical records show the "rugged individualists" (and
their families) of that era died like flies.

True.

It is correctly observed that statist solutions (such as oil
and gas nationalization*) are frequently expensive, slow and
even counterproductive, but such evaluation is meaningless
unless a comparable sample of private enterprise market
driven [what ever that means] solutions are also evaluated.
I would suggest the TVA as a counterexample.

Right.

*Although the hybrid solution of a domestically chartered
private joint stock company with 51% of the stock owned by
several levels of government (one of these a golden share
with veto power over relocation, inversions, M&A, governance
changes, etc) seems to be functioning well [compared to the
Repsol rendering] for YPF in Argentina.
http://tinyurl.com/l9jsakf

(subscription only)

Like giving the USPS to UPS or FEDEX, with strings? Surely they
wouldn't screw it up like the pseudo-gov't has.

A small book is suggested to give some insight into this
problematique.

_23 Things They Don't Tell You About Capitalism_ – January
17, 2012 by Ha-Joon Chang (Author)
http://tinyurl.com/k7qvpyc

fee

His book _Bad Samaritans: The Myth of Free Trade and the
Secret History of Capitalism_ is also highly recommended
http://tinyurl.com/l755qrv

target no got.

This explains why we are being overrun by economic refugees
after we have done so much to help their countries. ;-(

sigh2

--
Give me the luxuries of life.
I can live without the necessities.