Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anybody have a spare cable tension gauge?

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 19:35:16 -0500, Richard
wrote:

'Different perspectives, I guess. If it's light, it may be good for
racing, but I raced a Tanzer 22 in 1/4-ton and MORC events in Lake
Huron, and it was the fastest boat in its class, at that time. It was
3 in. shorter than the Capri on the waterline, and weighed 2900 lb,
with a 1250 lb. keel. I loved racing the boat but I would be wary of
it in the ocean. Even with that keel, we got knocked down dead flat a
couple of times.

Santana 20s are all over the place and they are regularly raced. And
one can snag a nice one for under $2k

Lots of Tanzers, Pearsons, C&Cs etc etc for very little money

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/boa/4708453715.html

Ebay is a good place to find a boat as well

I doubt if this boat goes for more than $3k

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9683-1980-35...-/251673083481

http://usauctions.com/ItemDetails.aspx?ID=9683

Figure a yard would charge about $1k or less to fix the hull and keel
over the winter when things are slow. Its a fairly simple job. Get a
bottom paint job at the same time for $250-400
The new No-copper paints are looking pretty good for holding up for a
couple 2-3 years or more.
Not needed of course for freshwater boats

Thats a 35' decently laid out boat for $4k or less.

Current listing of sailboats from cheapest to most expensive:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Boats-/26429/i.html?_fls=1&_os=UP|S|PL|D&_pos=93268&_stpos=9326 8&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEFSRCHX%3ASRCH&_ipg=200&_nkw= sailboat&LH_LocatedIn=1&_sop=2

J24s are readily available as well for $3k ish

This is an expensive one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-J24-Sai...-/181554772045

http://www.sailnet.com/boatchk/showp...hp?product=341

Then there are the Merit 25s and the Kirby 25s

No oceans around Dallas, Ed. Only lakes.

We go down to Kemah for weekend cruises in the Carribean.
Now THAT'S some BROWN water!
Literally.

For Brown Water...go to the Sacramento Delta. Very much like SEA but
you can stop for MickyDs

PJ O'Rourke