Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Blacktop at 80 degrees

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 14:24:31 -0400, noname wrote:

On 10/12/2014 02:01 PM, micky wrote:
I had a jack stand collapse once, and the weight on it was 1/3 its
rating.

Damn! What failed? The pin? A weld?

Neither of those. IIRC the metal bent, but I can't remember which piece
of metal.

It wasn't one that seems like sheet metal, with a round tube and a tube
a little smaller than goes inside, and a pin to set the height.

It had a little beam in the middle with teeth and a heavy cog that
caught one of the teeth and that decided how tall it was. And a heavy
L-shaped piece of round stock that woudl lift the cog if there were no
weight on the stand.

It had four legs made of angle iron, and flat iron pieces about 1 1/2"
wide welded on from leg 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4, and 4 to 1. It's been
10 years but iirc one of the legs crumbled.

I thnk it was rated 3000 pounds when the whole car was only 3000 pounds,
and 3 of its wheels were on the ground. We were doing the front brakes.
It was the plymouth version of a LeBaron,a K-car, and a friend who
weighed less than 160 sat on the drivers seat with his feet on the
ground.

It didn't go down much because of the jack, but still scarey.