Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Anybody have a spare cable tension gauge?

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 19:35:16 -0500, Richard
wrote:

On 10/12/2014 6:26 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 18:05:54 -0500,
wrote:

On 10/12/2014 1:33 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 13:17:53 -0500,
wrote:

On 10/12/2014 12:48 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 10:43:52 -0500,
wrote:

On 10/11/2014 10:01 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

But them it's Gunner. So ...

Say Richard, get that Capri yet? Or hasnt anyone yet volunteered to
drop one off in your driveway for free so far?

Yes Mark, we do.

"We do what?"

Get that Capri?

Or hordes of people volunteering to drop one off in the water
..er..driveway for you?

Hummmm?

I hope you got the Capri 25..its supposed to be faster than the rest
by quite a bit.

Gunner

Mark, it's none of you business what I do.

You've been stalking like a crazed maniac for months.

Give It A Rest.

Yeah, what's with the Capri 22s? That's a boat for the brown-water
navy.

Handy (sailor talk for maneuverable), the fin version points like a
hunting dog, fast, economical, and easily trailerable.

They are well built, nicely finished, even inside, well behaved on
all points of sail, and - attractive to look at.

They all have fabulous huge cockpit arrangements. Even the little
14 foot day sailors.

What's not to like?

The 18s are small cruisers. Probably the nicest handling small sailboat
I've ever run across. Smaller than the 22 but easier to trailer as a
result. However, soon after they were introduced, Shane St. Claire took
his new Capri 18 from Oxnard, California to Hawaii singlehanded.
(so much for your brown water!)

The 25s are flat out racers. Very lightly built and (IMHO) too
flexible. Can't keep the windows sealed because the hull flexes
so bad.

The 26 (like Temptress) is a nice cruiser built on the Capri lines.
She's a short 30 footer inside due to the 10 foot beam.

The 30 was an IOR racer. Same lines as the 26, but pulled out another
4 feet. VERY fast on the wind.
The Capri 30, like most late 1970's early 1980's era MORC boats, were
boats that sailed well in a wide range of windspeeds and seastates. For
a race boat, these boats were forgiving and reasonably easy to sail well
in a wide range of conditions. The downside now, like the 25s,
they were lightly built, raced hard, and are now 30+ years old.

There were a few others built for ocean racing.
Never seen any of them in person.

But would jump at the chance to crew a Capri 37 with 665 sq feet of sail!
Like Capricious, for instance...
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=7584

I'll take your word for it. I don't know the boat, but around here,
there isn't much enthusiasm for lightly-built cabin boats.

I see that the 22 weighs 2200 pounds and has a 650 lb. keel. A Cape
Dory 26, which is 6 inches shorter on the waterline, weighs 5300
pounds, with a 2400 lb. keel.

As you know, that's my kind of monohull. I wouldn't take a 2200 lb
boat with a 20 ft. waterline outside of Manasquan Inlet unless I had
really good insurance.

You may recall that I worked at Ranger Yachts for a short time after
college (breathing fiberglass dust until I was getting asthma). I
built some Ranger 23s, which has the same LWL as the Capri 22. It
weighs 3400 lb and has 1500 lb ballast. We considered that a daysailer
for the bays. They had a good hull layup but, in a 4-foot head sea,
you could see the hull oilcanning.

'Different perspectives, I guess. If it's light, it may be good for
racing, but I raced a Tanzer 22 in 1/4-ton and MORC events in Lake
Huron, and it was the fastest boat in its class, at that time. It was
3 in. shorter than the Capri on the waterline, and weighed 2900 lb,
with a 1250 lb. keel. I loved racing the boat but I would be wary of
it in the ocean. Even with that keel, we got knocked down dead flat a
couple of times.

No oceans around Dallas, Ed. Only lakes.

Thus, the brown-water navy. g For some reason I thought you were on
the Gulf coast. For roughness it ain't the Atlantic, but...

We go down to Kemah for weekend cruises in the Carribean.
Now THAT'S some BROWN water!
Literally.

Hmm. I thought it was mostly green.

Oh well, I haven't been to the Caribbean for a long time. I guess it
got browner. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress