Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Separate ground wire to panel to ground outlets?

wrote in message
stuff snipped

As for the OP, what was legal in the 70's is moot.

Except the upgrade was likely done either during or before the
seventies. - so not ENTIRELY a moot point. It was "standard practice"
and "approved" when it was done.

I was referring to the guy (OP - original poster TomR) who started the
thread asking about how to turn a two pronged outlet into a grounded one. I
think he did exactly the right thing - had a new cable with ground run.

I agree, in the 70's you were not likely to run into the problems you might
today tying into a clamp-on-pipe ground connection.

Not to say it should not be redone today.

I ran along every inch of the water pipe and removed and rewired the
surprising number of grounding clamps that were sitting on the pipes. CATV,
phone, upgrading outlets, etc. after I tore the entire ceiling down.
Virtually every clamp connector showed some sort of corrosion or physical
damage to the (very old) copper pipe.

--
Bobby G.