Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Separate ground wire to panel to ground outlets?

"N8N" wrote in message news:f981fcb7-5899-

My guess too... can be verified easily if you have a 240VAC receptacle
anywhere to probe (in garage for welder, or laundry room for clothes dryer)
one leg will still be hot but the other will be dead if he is correct. Or
just take cover off breaker panel and measure two breakers adjacent to each
other, they should be on opposite legs.

A third runner up. I would have done as you suggested except by the next
day it was mysteriously fixed. It really threw me because in all three
houses affected, it cured itself. That's pretty rare to lose some outlets
in the middle of the night and have them magically come back to life the
next day.

I am wondering if I could have detected it with my HomeVision X-10
controller and XTB coupler/repeater just from the PC interface. The
coupler/repeater should behave erratically if it's not getting power from
both phases, but I am not sure. I suppose I should send an email to Jeff
Volp who designed it to find out whether it would detect such a condition or
only if the phase providing power to the unit fails.

--
Bobby G.